Star anise plants are fast-growing evergreen trees that can reach a height of 26 feet (8 meters) but are usually much smaller, with a spread of 10 feet (3 m.). The fruit is a spice with a licorice-like aroma. The tree is indigenous to southern China and northern Vietnam, where its fruit is widely used in regional cuisine. The fruit is star-shaped (hence the name), green when underripe, and brown and woody when fully ripe. It is made up of six to eight carpels, each containing a seed. Fruits are harvested while still green and sun-dried. 1 minute and 34 seconds of volume 0% Illicium verum are the most commonly harvested, but it should not be confused with Illicium anisatum, a toxic Japanese plant in the family.
1. Boosts Brain Power – With age, our brain’s activity and function slow down. Star anise is a natural brain health booster. It is high in antioxidants, which increase blood flow to the brain’s most active areas. Star anise is regarded as a brain tonic in Chinese medicine, aiding concentration and focus. Star anise is known as “ashwagandha” in Ayurveda and is thought to help increase mental clarity, promote good sleep, and protect the nervous system.
2. Reduces Anxiety and Depression – Some research suggests that star anise may help reduce depression symptoms, particularly when combined with antidepressants. Some people even claim that it works better than antidepressants! This is due to its high vitamin B content, which can boost mood and reduce stress. People who are at risk of developing anxiety and depression can benefit from taking vitamin B supplements. Drinking star anise tea is also an excellent way to increase your intake of vitamin B.
3. Good For Digestion – Star anise essential oils aid in the treatment of digestive issues. They have anti-inflammatory properties that can aid in the treatment of ulcers and the reduction of acid reflux. Antimicrobial properties of star anise can protect against intestinal infections. Star anise can help to improve your overall health by preventing bloating and discomfort caused by gas buildup in your stomach or intestines.
4. Beneficial During Cold and Flu – Colds, flu, and sore throats can all be treated with star anise tea. It has been shown to kill bacteria that cause infections in the throat. Aside from its antibacterial properties, star anise contains antioxidants that can help your immune system fight off illness more effectively by increasing its ability to naturally eliminate harmful toxins from your body.
5. May Balance Blood Sugar Levels – If you have diabetes, star anise tea can help you keep your blood sugar levels stable and reduce the amount of insulin you require. It can help reduce the risk of heart disease because it is high in antioxidants. It also contains flavonoids, which effectively reduce cholesterol levels in the body. Flavonoids have been shown to lower LDL cholesterol (“bad”) and raise HDL cholesterol (“good”). Participants in one study who took star anise extract saw a 15% increase in HDL levels.
6. Relaxes the Mind and Muscles – Star anise is known as “the universal balancer” because it promotes balance throughout our bodies, including digestion, nervous system activity, cardiovascular health, liver function, and so on. Furthermore, this natural herb improves the quality and duration of sleep.
7. Reduces Headache – Star anise can be used as a natural headache reliever. Because of its ability to relax tense muscles, the herb has been used for centuries as an alternative treatment for people suffering from migraines (headaches). For added benefits, eat it raw or add it to your favorite tea.
8. Helps in Managing Healthy Weight – Star anise is an excellent addition to any diet plan because it is high in protein and low in calories, which means that depending on how much you eat, it can help you maintain or gain weight.
9. Supports Breastfeeding Mothers – Star anise is an excellent natural supplement for nursing mothers. It’s no secret that breastfeeding mothers want to be comfortable while nursing their children. However, there are some factors that can make this process difficult or painful for them. Star anise relieves pain and discomfort caused by breastfeeding. It also helps to prevent breast milk infections like mastitis by reducing inflammation in the breast tissue (which helps reduce swelling). It also promotes liver function, which aids in keeping everything running smoothly during pregnancy and after childbirth!